Can I get Social Security disability benefits for my disabled child?

If you are looking to obtain Social Security disability benefits for a disabled child who is younger than 18- the process can be overwhelming.
He or she may qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. You will need to submit an application for benefits with the Social Security Administration (SSA) and provide it with the requested documentation.

What are the SSI Eligibility Requirements for Children?
To qualify for SSI, there are physical/emotional disability qualifications and financial requirements. In order for your child to be eligible for SSI, the following three factors must be true.

Your child must not work and earn more than $794/month. Working is typically not a problem in children’s cases. Also, because SSI is a need-based program, income, and resources of the family members living with the child also are taken into consideration.
Your child must have “a physical or mental condition, or a combination of conditions, that result in marked and severe functional limitations.”
Your child’s condition must be expected to be disabling for at least 12 months or expected to be fatal.

How do I apply for SSI benefits for my child?
Though you can apply for disability benefits directly with the SSA, we recommend you consult with an attorney who regularly handles children’s disability cases to assist with filing a claim.

There are many forms you will have to complete and specific information you will have to supply to the SSA about your child. Many claimants find this process daunting and complicated.

You will have to complete an application for SSI and a Child Disability Report. The Child Disability Report asks for detailed information about your child and requests your permission for the SSA to speak with your child’s doctor about his/her condition. You also can use the Medical and School Worksheet – Child worksheet, which gives you information about how to prepare for the disability interview.

To obtain Social Security disability benefits for your child, you will need to provide substantial and compelling medical evidence that your child has severe functional limitations affecting multiple areas of his or her life. This is not always easy to accomplish, particularly if your child’s condition is mental or behavioral in nature. Call Chad Brown Law at (336) 962-5373 for a free case evaluation to see if your child may qualify for children’s disability benefits.

Our firm focuses on three practice areas: Disability, Personal Injury, and Eminent Domain. Every practice area has attorneys who have expertise in their respective area of practice. 

Chad Brown is a North Carolina Board Certified Social Security disability law specialist. Mr. Brown helps Social Security disability claimants at all stages of the disability process. He also works with people that have Long Term Disability denials and with people that are injured by drugs and defective medical products.

Your Questions Answered

What happens at a Social Security disability hearing?

You prepare for a disability case by making sure everything that needs to be done to win your case has been done. Generally, to prepare for a disability case you must submit all relevant medical evidence within the very strict time frames for evidence submission,...

read more