Project Summary: Camden Rd.

Thank you for your interest in Chad Brown Law. If you are viewing this content, then it is likely that you are facing the possibility that some, if not all, of your property will be taken from you by a condemning authority. A “condemning” authority of “condemnor” is any entity that has the right to take your property and endeavors to do so by accomplishing a public purpose. (Such as widening an already-existing two-lane highway into a four-lane)

The Eminent Domain Attorneys at Chad Brown Law are here for you and as a token of that support, we have prepared the following information to hopefully help you better understand what the project is about and why the condemnor has targeted your property.

A.  Project Number: U-3422

If you would like more information about this project, then simply go to the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) website and type “U-3422” into the search bar. This will bring up all the information that the NCDOT has on their website about the project.

B.  Who will be condemning/taking the properties? NCDOT

C.  What are they taking? This project will take place in Cumberland County, NC. The NCDOT is taking road frontage from properties adjacent to the already-existent Camden Rd. between NC Hwy 59/Hope Mills Rd. west to future I-295. Currently, the start of construction is practically located at Champs Ct. There will be future development further west of Champs Ct. eventually.

D.  When will they be taking it? It is estimated that property acquisitions for the project will begin late 2021 and carry through 2023. Construction is estimated to begin in 2024.

E.   Why are they taking the property? Upon reviewing the maps, it would seem the goal is to widen Camden Rd. into a four-lane to accommodate increased traffic by matching it with the already four-lane Camden Rd. further east of NC Hwy 59/Hope Mills Rd.

F.   How can they take it? The NCDOT can take your property through the exercise of eminent domain. However, the NCDOT is supposed to compensate you for the property that they take from you. The typical measure for compensation is normally the “fair market value” of the property being taken. This can be measured in various ways according to law and should be discussed with your attorney.