Project Summary: Johnson St./Sandy Ridge Rd.

Thank you for your interest in Chad Brown Law. If you are viewing this content, then it is likely that you are facing the possibility that some, if not all, of your property will be taken from you by a condemning authority. A “condemning” authority (or “condemnor”) is any entity that has the right to take your property for a public purpose. (Such as widening or extending a road)

The Eminent Domain Attorneys at Chad Brown Law are here for you, and, as a token of that support, we have prepared the following information to hopefully help you better understand what the project is all about and why the condemnor has targeted your property.

A. Project Number: U-4728

If you would like more information about this project, then simply click on this link. This will bring up all the information that the NCDOT has on their website about the project. 

B.  Who will be condemning/taking the properties? The City of High Point in cooperation with NCDOT.

C.  What are they taking? The City of High Point will be condemning property adjacent to Johnson St. and Sandy Ridge Rd. between Skeet Club Rd. and I-40. This project will be about five miles in length. An ancillary project to this one is NCDOT TIP Project I-5712.

D.  When will they be taking it? The acquisition process was slated to begin December 2021. However, the NCDOT is still in that process. Construction is scheduled to begin December of 2023.

E.  Why are they taking the property? The City of High Point’s goal is to improve Johnson St. by widening it and resurfacing large portions of it to better-accommodate traffic.

F.   How can they take it? The City of High Point and the NCDOT can take your property through the exercise of eminent domain. However, the City of High Point and the NCDOT are supposed to compensate you for the property that they take from you. The typical measure for compensation is normally the “fair market value” of the property being taken. This can be measured in various ways according to law and should be discussed with your attorney. Please note, compensation will come from only one entity-not both the City of High Point and the NCDOT.