Project Summary: NC 66

Thank you for your interest in Chad Brown Law. If you are viewing this content, then it is likely that you are facing the possibility that some, if not all, of your property will be taken from you by a condemning authority. A “condemning” authority (or “condemnor”) is any entity that has the right to take your property for a public purpose. (Such as widening or extending a road)

The Eminent Domain Attorneys at Chad Brown Law are here for you, and, as a token of that support, we have prepared the following information to hopefully help you better understand what the project is all about and why the condemnor has targeted your property.

A. Project Number: U-5824

If you would like more information about this project, then simply go to the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) website and type U-5824 into the search bar. This will bring up all the information that the NCDOT has on their website about the project.

B.  Who will be condemning/taking the properties? NCDOT.

C.  What are they taking? This project is in Forsyth County. The NCDOT will be taking from properties that are adjacent to NC 66 between Harley Dr. and US Hwy 158. (Otherwise known as Reidsville Rd.)

D.  When will they be taking it? The NCDOT was scheduled to begin acquisitions in the fiscal year of 2020. However, acquisition has been delayed and will be announced when a new time is set. A date for initial construction has not been set yet either.

E.  Why are they taking the property? The goal of the NCDOT is to widen and resurface NC 66 between Harley Dr. and US Hwy 158 to better-accommodate traffic. New curbs, medians, and widened intersections will be built to suit the growth.

F.   How can they take it? The NCDOT can take your property through the exercise of eminent domain. However, the NCDOT is supposed to compensate you for the property that they take from you. The typical measure for compensation is normally the “fair market value” of the property being taken. This can be measured in various ways according to law and should be discussed with your attorney.