Project Summary: NC 73

Thank you for your interest in Chad Brown Law. If you are viewing this content, then it is likely that you are facing the possibility that some, if not all, of your property will be taken from you by a condemning authority. A “condemning” authority (or “condemnor”) is any entity that has the right to take your property for a public purpose. (Such as widening or extending a road)

The Eminent Domain Attorneys at Chad Brown Law are here for you, and, as a token of that support, we have prepared the following information to hopefully help you better understand what the project is all about and why the condemnor has targeted your property.

A.  Name of Project: R-5706

If you would like more information about this project, then simply go to the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) website and type “R-5706” into the search bar. This will bring up all the information that the NCDOT has on their website about the project.

B.  Who will be condemning/taking the properties? NCDOT.

C.  What are they taking? The NCDOT will be taking properties adjacent to N.C. 73 from Davidson-Concord Road in Mecklenburg County to U.S. 29 (Concord Parkway North) in Cabarrus County.

D.  When will they be taking it? The acquisitions for these takings were supposed to begin Summer of 2021. However, another date will be announced to begin acquiring property since the global pandemic of COVID-19 stalled acquisitions.

E.  Why are they taking the property? The NCDOT’s goal is to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion at the intersection along N.C. 73. (Davidson Hwy) by widening the road and building newer bridges that will accommodate traffic better.

F.  How can they take it? The NCDOT can take your property through the exercise of eminent domain. However, the NCDOT is supposed to compensate you for the property that they take from you. The typical measure for compensation is normally the “fair market value” of the property being taken. This can be measured in various ways according to law and should be discussed with your attorney.