Project Summary: Roper Mountain

Thank you for your interest in Chad Brown Law. If you are viewing this content, then it is likely that you are facing the possibility that some, if not all, of your property will be taken from you by a condemning authority. A “condemning” authority (or “condemnor”) is any entity that has the right to take your property for a public purpose. (Such as widening or extending a road)

The Eminent Domain Attorneys at Chad Brown Law are here for you, and, as a token of that support, we have prepared the following information to hopefully help you better understand what the project is all about and why the condemnor has targeted your property.

A. Project Number: Roper Mountain Road (S-548) Drainage Improvements Project

If you would like more information about this project, then visit the South Carolina Department of Transportation website and type in “Roper Mountain” in the search bar.

B.  Who will be condemning/taking the properties? The South Carolina Department of Transportation. (SCDOT)

C.  What are they taking? The SCDOT proposes to take the road-adjacent properties on Roper Mountain Rd. between Weatherby Drive and Battery Boulevard.

D.  When will they be taking it? The acquisitions for these takings were supposed to begin in early 2022. A new acquisition date has not been set yet.

E.  Why are they taking the property? The SCDOT’s goal with these takings is to improve drainage on the road. This will include modifying the existing ditches, placing and enhancing crossline pipes, constructing a closed drainage system, and placing a new catch basin at the Green Arbor Lane intersection. A catch basin is an underground hole with a grate on top of it that allows water from multiple sources to drain into it and out to a safe location.

F.   How can they take it? The SCDOT can take your property through the exercise of eminent domain. However, the county is supposed to compensate you for the property that they take from you. The typical measure for compensation is normally the “fair market value” of the property being taken. This can be measured in various ways according to law and should be discussed with your attorney.