Project Summary: NC 211 Moore Hoke Rd.

Thank you for your interest in Chad Brown Law. If you are viewing this content, then it is likely that you are facing the possibility that some, if not all, of your property will be taken from you by a condemning authority. A “condemning” authority (or “condemnor”) is any entity that has the right to take your property for a public purpose. (Such as widening or extending a road)

The Eminent Domain Attorneys at Chad Brown Law are here for you, and, as a token of that support, we have prepared the following information to hopefully help you better understand what the project is all about and why the condemnor has targeted your property.

A.  Name of Project: R-5709

If you would like more information about this project, then simply go to the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) website and type “R-5709” into the search bar. This will bring up all the information that the NCDOT has on their website about the project.

B.  Who will be condemning/taking the properties? NCDOT.

C.  What are they taking? The NCDOT is looking to acquire properties in both Hoke and Moore County, NC. NCDOT proposes to take approximately 15.4 miles of road-front property along NC 211 between U.S. 15/501 in Aberdeen and east of West Palmer Street/Mockingbird Hill Rd. in Raeford.

D.  When will they be taking it? The right-of-way acquisitions were expected to begin in 2020. However, given the onset of COVID-19, the acquisitions will likely begin in 2022. A date has not been given for the start of construction.

E.  Why are they taking the property? The goal is to widen NC 211 into a multi-lane, divided highway to better-accommodate rising traffic.

F.   How can they take it? The NCDOT can take your property through the exercise of eminent domain. However, the NCDOT is supposed to compensate you for the property that they take from you. The typical measure for compensation is normally the “fair market value” of the property being taken. This can be measured in various ways according to law and should be discussed with your attorney.