Project Summary: US 76 (Clemson Blvd.)

Thank you for your interest in Chad Brown Law. If you are viewing this content, then it is likely that you are facing the possibility that some, if not all, of your property will be taken from you by a condemning authority. A “condemning” authority (or “condemnor”) is any entity that has the right to take your property for a public purpose. (Such as widening or extending a road)

The Eminent Domain Attorneys at Chad Brown Law are here for you, and, as a token of that support, we have prepared the following information to hopefully help you better understand what the project is all about and why the condemnor has targeted your property.

A. Project Number: US 76 (Clemson Blvd.) at S-60 (Welpine Dr.) Intersection Improvements

If you would like more information about this project, then please visit the SCDOT website and type the name of the project into the search bar.

B.  Who will be condemning/taking the properties? The South Carolina Department of Transportation. (SCDOT)

C.  What are they taking? The SCDOT will be taking properties adjacent to the intersection of US 76 and Welpine Dr. This project is taking place in Anderson County, SC.

D.  When will they be taking it? The acquisitions were supposed to take place in the Summer of 2021. However, it is not uncommon for these projects to be delayed for an array of various reasons. A new date for acquisitions has yet to be announced.

E.  Why are they taking the property? The SCDOT has determined that traffic would be better served by relocating the intersection “meeting point” by removing the existing pavement along the front of Clemson Blvd. Mini Storage and creating a four-way stop. Furthermore, the SCDOT has determined that traffic would be further alleviated by lacing another intersection between Starbucks and the vacant lot just NW of McDonalds and Shell Gas Station.

F.   How can they take it? The SCODT can take your property through the exercise of eminent domain. However, the county is supposed to compensate you for the property that they take from you. The typical measure for compensation is normally the “fair market value” of the property being taken. This can be measured in various ways according to law and should be discussed with your attorney.