The Social Security Administration sent me a letter saying they are stopping my benefits – what can I do?

If the Social Security Administration sends you a letter saying they are stopping your benefits – you can appeal.

If your Social Security disability benefits stop, you have the right to appeal the Social Security Administration’s (SSA’s) decision. There is a specific process and strict time limits that you must follow in order to have the SSA reevaluate your case. To improve the chances of winning your benefits back, it’s highly advisable to retain an attorney.

Asking the SSA to Reconsider Its Decision

You have the right to request an appeal, but you have only 60 days in which to make the request. The 60 days begin from the time SSA decided that your benefits were going to stop.

There are several ways you can submit your request. You can go through the process online by visiting the SSA’s website or submit your request via mail or phone. Below are three forms you’ll be required to submit to request an appeal.

  • Appeal request form
  • Disability Report – Appeal (SSA-3441)
  • Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social
  • Security Administration (SSA-827)

Your Rights to Benefits in the Interim

You may be able to continue receiving benefits during the appeals process. If you ask for an appeal within 10 days after the date you receive the SSA’s notification letter, you can ask the SSA to continue your payments while the appeal is being decided.

The SSA cautions, “If your payments continue during your appeal and you lose the appeal, we will ask you to pay back some or all of the money. However, you will not have to pay us back if you cooperate with us during the appeal and we find that you need your money for your usual living expenses.”

Do you just get one shot at an appeal?

You will have more than just one chance at convincing the SSA that your rights to benefits should continue. In fact, there are four levels of appeals:

  • Reconsideration
  • Hearing by an ALJ
  • Review by the Appeals Council
  • Federal Court review

Chad Brown Law is one of the few law firms that frequently handles CDR cases where claimant’s benefits have been stopped. Most disability lawyers do not handle these cases. Call Chad Brown Law today at (336) 962-5373 to see who we can help you get back your lost benefits.GET HELP NOW

Our firm focuses on three practice areas: Disability, Personal Injury, and Eminent Domain. Every practice area has attorneys who have expertise in their respective area of practice. 

Chad Brown is a North Carolina Board Certified Social Security disability law specialist. Mr. Brown helps Social Security disability claimants at all stages of the disability process. He also works with people that have Long Term Disability denials and with people that are injured by drugs and defective medical products.

Your Questions Answered

What happens at a Social Security disability hearing?

You prepare for a disability case by making sure everything that needs to be done to win your case has been done. Generally, to prepare for a disability case you must submit all relevant medical evidence within the very strict time frames for evidence submission,...

read more